Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Veil of Roses by Laura Fitzgerald


While the heroine of this book is an adult woman, I feel as thought I was reading a coming of age book.

I found this character to be so compelling that I could not put this book down until I knew her whole story.
When we meet Tamila Soroush, she is living in Iran with her parents where she has grown up. Her parents had lived in the United States but we find that they came back to Iran when Tamila was a very small child and have remained there ever since.

We find Tamila, not really moving forward in her life, when her parents make arrangements for her to go to the United States on a three month Visa. Their hope is that Tamila will meet someone, through her sister, and marry and be able to stay in the U.S.

This book allows us to watch Tamila as she vocalizes the frustrations that she feels with her life, and the lives of all women in Iran. We are allowed to witness her making friends and learning what freedom means to women in America. I found her explorations and her limitations to be poignant and frustrating. When her sister, treats Tamila as a child, in my opinion, I get so upset. I feel that her sister should have a better understanding than anyone of what it must mean for Tamila to be able to move about at her own will for the first time in her life.

I hope that I have not said too much about this book but I have to say, I loved this book. I loved the choice that she ultimately makes and I am so glad that I read it. Now that does not happen often.

No comments: